Saturday, November 7, 2009

Easy, Creamy Chicken Bake

In an effort to use up the last of the rough pastry I made up a chicken thing tonight. It was creamy, cheesy & quite good. We all really liked it & at the end of the meal Jon pronounced that I should blog it so here I am. If you don't have rough pastry on hand you could use store bought croissant rolls and I'm sure that'd be good too but you might need to adjust the cooking time & temp. Short blog tonight because I have a headache again. Love this pregnant thing I gotta tell ya. Real quick though: Ryan got his first two teeth a couple of days ago. Yep, they came it at the same time and it's about time since he's 10 months old. Although he proved to us that one doesn't really need teeth if one is determined enough since he was eating pork ribs (or porkcicles as someone called them) at a chili cook-off we went to at Jon's work a couple of weeks ago. (I'll see if I can get the picture his friend took.) Also, Christopher scored a goal in his soccer game today. He's really gotten so much better since the first game. He's more focused & is starting to get the idea behind soccer. Anyway, for the recipe...
Creamy Chicken Bake
We ate it all (2 adults, 4-year old, 3-year old & a baby) but the two boys eat as much or more than I do most nights so.....It made a 9x11 casserole dish if that helps you decide how much to make.

1 1/2 c cooked chicken/turkey, cubed
1 can cream of chicken soup
4 oz cream cheese, softened (I nuked mine 30 sec straight from the fridge)
1/2 tsp rubbed sage
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 onion, diced (I used a cheese grater, but Ethan won't eat onions if he sees them)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 c sharp cheddar cheese
8 pieces of rough pastry measuring 6x4 in approx. (If you're using croissant rolls I think you'll need 16 so you can put them together to form a square 'pocket' for the filling.)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix the first 8 ingredients together & put a good spoonful into the center of each pocket & fold it over & crimp the sides together. Make sure they're pretty full & don't worry if you think it might leak out a little. No biggie for this dish. Put them in a foil-lined casserole dish & use whatever sauce you have left to go over the top. I just had enough to put one spoonful on top of each one. Pop it in the oven & let it cook 30 min or until it starts to brown on top.

*Notes*
Jon said the only thing that would make it better for him is to put asparagus inside the pockets too. I thought that was a great idea.

I was thinking as I filled them that you could also do this with a Mexican flavor twist to it. Instead of the sage add 1/4-1/2 tsp cumin (depends on how much you like cumin =P) & top it with salsa when you serve it. Might be good. I'll have to try it sometime.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment