Monday, November 9, 2009

Beef Stew

So, this Friday at the Gathering Place we're having beef stew & rolls for lunch & Emily asked me how to make beef stew & I'm 100% sure I left out important ingredients when telling her because that's how I am since I rarely ever measure & always just kind of cook on the fly. To fix that little mistake I made beef stew tonight & actually paid attention to what I did. Yay me! So here's my beef stew recipe, hearty, simple & delicious (I'm so humble).
Beef stew- makes a 5 qt pot (which is the "large pot" I'm always talking about in case you wonder)

Buy the absolute cheapest beef you can find because by the time it's done it WILL be tender, I promise. Also, if you do use canned veggies-and I do if that's all I have on hand-then don't bother draining anything. However, I do recommend buying no salt added canned veggies. The difference in sodium PER SERVING is usually around 300 grams. It's always best to add whatever salt you want yourself.

1 lb stew meat
1 bay leaf
water
salt
4 russet potatoes, big cubes (like 2x2 inches) peel if you want to
1 medium onion, rough chopped
1.5 cups each fresh/frozen: corn, green beans, peas
1 can of stewed tomatoes
4 carrots, peeled & rough chopped
2 celery ribs, rough chopped
5 c beef broth
salt & pepper

Put your beef in a large pot & cover it with water. Add a little salt (I dunno, 1/2 tsp?) and the bay leaf. Turn it on high & bring to a boil uncovered. A gross looking film usually develops. Just get a skimmer or slotted spoon & scoop that stuff off the top and into the disposal. Turn the temp down to medium, put a lid on it and cook for about 1 1/2 hours. Yes, that's forever & yes it's important. It's what makes the meat tender & juicy. Yours might take more or less time depending on the quality/cut. Just make sure it's fork tender.Then throw in  all the veggies & the broth & cook on medium until the veggies are done. You can turn it on low & leave it on the stove until dinner or you can serve & right then. Before you serve, add salt & pepper to taste.. If it's too salty just add some water. It keeps great in the fridge &, like many wonderful foods, is even better the second day. Make sure you don't serve the bay leaf to anyone. If you're nervous about it just fish around in there till you find it & scoop it out. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment