Friday, November 13, 2009

Broccoli Cheese Chowder

I thought while I was waiting for my oatmeal this morning I'd post one of Jon's favorite soups (it's true, he actually LOVES some soups). It's really easy to make & only takes 15 min or so, but it can get a little pricey as it has 1/2lb of swiss in it, but if you get it on sale it's not too bad. It's an easy meal that's good enough for company-especially if you serve it with rolls & a nice salad. I, personally, love the smooth buttery texture & flavor of baby swiss, but I don't recommend using it in this recipe unless you want the cheese to melt all into the broth & become invisible. A good alpine swiss or something similar does great. For the recipe....
Broccoli Cheese Chowder-Mom Whipple

To cut costs, you can substitute the 1 c cream for another cup of milk & cut the cheese in 1/2. It won't be as good, but it's still pretty delish.

2 lbs broccoli
25 oz (about 3 c) chicken broth/stock
3 c milk (I use whole milk)
1 c chopped cooked ham
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 c cream (light/heavy it's up to you)
1/2 lb grated swiss cheese
1/4 c butter

I just boil the broccoli in the chicken broth until its fork tender but not overdone but I think mom steams it first & then adds it to the broth so whichever way you like works fine. After you've got your broccoli cooked & added to the chicken broth add everything else & stir until the butter & cheese are melted. Salt & pepper to taste & serve. YUM!

1 comment:

  1. Oooooooh, this looks delicious. We have soup every Monday, and I will DEFINITELY be trying this soon. We had dinner at Grandma Stellmon's house tonight, and she told us you had a blog -- we had no idea! Excited to be amazed by all you do ... more so than we were before we saw your blog.

    ReplyDelete