Monday, October 12, 2009

White Chili, Cornbread, & Stove-top Mac & Cheese

We had a semi-cool day yesterday, so I jumped at the chance to make White chili since I've been craving it. If you've never had white chili, it's made with chicken instead of beef and uses cannellini beans instead of kidney beans. It's delicious, and approaches perfection when served with warm cornbread. So we're eating dinner last night and Christopher asked us what beans grow. (When he was little he wouldn't eat carrots until I told him they made his eyes grow strong. Now he loves carrots and he asks what nearly everything he eats will grow. If I know, I tell him-ie milk grows bones, meat grows muscle, etc-and if I don't I make it up. Did you know peas grow your nose and broccoli grows your hair?) Anyway, before I could think of anything, Jon pipes in with "They grow your bum. Beans are a magical fruit." It was all I could do to get him to not finish that little ditty. Just what I need. My 4-year old singing about magical farting fruit. Lovely. I'm also including the corn bread recipe for those who don't use Jiffy and my Easy stove-top mac & cheese which we're about to sit down and eat for lunch. It's not any harder than making the Kraft boxed variety, but it's cheaper and healthier. Anyway, here're the recipes....

White Chili
8 chicken breasts diced (when money's tight (when isn't it?) I only use 2 and it still tastes great it just ends up being more of a bean chili with chicken rather than the other way around.
2 med onions, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 T oil (veg or olive is fine, or use butter if you want)
28 oz chicken broth

EITHER
1 lb dry white beans (cannellini, great northern, navy) cooked, rinsed and drained
OR
5 15 oz cans cannellini beans rinsed and drained

9 oz canned chopped green chilis undrained
1 t each salt, cumin, oregano & chili powder (more or less chili powder based on spiciness wanted)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (this amount makes a mild chili, add more if you like a kick)
1/8 tsp ground cloves (I think I use a little more than this. It's what gives this chili it's unique flavor.)

Saute the chicken, onions, garlic and oil till the onions are translucent and the chicken is cooked. Pour in the broth and add whichever beans you're using as well as the chilis. Add the spices and simmer until it reaches the consistency you want. (I like mine nice and thick, but some prefer theirs a little soupy.) Serve with cornbread, saltines or tortilla chips. Some nice garnishes are: cilantro, cheese, sour cream

Gram Stellmons' Basic Cornbread
1/2 c melted butter
2/3 c sugar
2 eggs
1/2 t salt
1 c buttermilk (or 1 T white vinegar plus enough milk to make 1 cup)
1/2 t baking soda
1 c cornmeal (I prefer medium or coarse grind)
1 c flour

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees & grease a 9x9 pan. Beat the butter, sugar, eggs, and salt till well blended. Add everything else and mix till everything is incorporated. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30 min. Check with a toothpick in the middle. If it comes out clean it's done. Cool 10 min then cut & serve. (Mine  never makes it to the 10 minute mark if Jon's home, but do what you can.)

*Note*
These are some add-in ideas I've had, but I haven't tried them all yet: 1/2 c of roasted whole corn kernels, some pepper-jack cheese, a diced jalapeno, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 c pork kracklins, 1 T wheat germ, 1 c crispy bacon crumbles, golden raisens, craisens, crushed fennel seed...



Cheap & Easy Stove-top Mac & Cheese

*Note*
This recipe calls for sharp cheddar. Even if you're one of the loonies out there-like my honey-who doesn't like sharp cheddar use it anyway in this recipe. It's got a stronger flavor so you can get away with using less. More bang for your buck and all. Any strongly flavored cheese that melts well will do the trick though. If you want, try gruyere, gouda, pepper-jack, swiss, etc. If you want to use a milder cheese, you'll just have to add more. But come, be a little daring. I suggest trying a new one each time you make it. I bet you'll be surprised at what you like.

2 c dried noodles
2 T butter
2 T flour
1/3 c milk (you can add a touch of cream or coffee creamer (reg/powdered) if you like super creamy mac & cheese)
1/2 c grated sharp cheddar (or a big handful)
1/4 tsp kosher salt
dash of pepper
dash garlic powder
dash onion powder
more salt & pepper to taste

Cook your noodles, making sure to salt the water. (It gives the noodles flavor from the get-go). Drain the noodles and put them right back into your pot. Add everything else and stir till the sauce forms. (1 min or so) Add more salt/pepper as needed. All done! This recipe is really basic & easy, but it can be a good starting point for getting really creative, so have at it. (I usually add a little mustard powder to this dish, but only if Jon's not having any or isn't in the kitchen to see me add it.)

*Note*
When the boys first had this Christopher almost had an aneurysm because it wasn't yellow. I then added a stage 1 jar of baby food pureed carrots. It solved the problem and boosted the nutritive value all at once. (After he ate it the color wasn't a problem anymore. He's just a wee bit anal about things being the way they 'should' be.)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mindy! Grandma told me about your blog, so I checked it out. We had mac and cheese for lunch today! My kids were a bit leary of the color too, but they loved it and I can't stop eating it. I've always loved Mac and cheese but hated to eat the box stuff because of the mystery orange powder! Thanks
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it Katie. It's such a simple recipe, but I always find myself eating too much of it when I make it. =P I agree about the mystery orange powder. It's neon orange. How can that possibly be good for you?

    ReplyDelete