Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Got a little lazy this weekend.....

I'm trying to post at least one recipe per day so that-eventually-I'll have all the recipes I love online. This weekend was General Conference weekend and I failed miserably. This is just a catch-up post to get back in the swing of things. I figure it's a good day to do it since I'm stuck on the couch trying not to throw up. Love being pregnant. Yay. The catch-up recipes will be a collection of cream soups since that's what I ate all weekend. I'll do potato soup, cream of poblano soup, broccoli chowder & cauliflower soup. The kids were GREAT during conference on Saturday. They listened to the whole first session quietly and  1/2 of the second before they got restless. Not so much on Sunday, but still not bad for a couple of little heathens. Since Conference though, my 4-year old has been saying "you shall...." whenever he wants us to do something. As in "Daddy, you shall come and look at my bedroom." He's such a little weirdo. I love him. If you want the recipes...
As always my measurements are approximate. Use your taste buds to adjust.


Potato Soup
1 c chopped bacon (it's like 1/2 a package if you buy the thin kind and about 4 slices of the thick kind)
1/2 c butter (that's right, throw in the whole stick)

1 med/lg onion diced
2 carrots, diced
1 T sugar
1-2 t salt (I like Kosher)
1 can evaporated milk
1/4 c flour

6-8 c milk
2 T cornstarch
1 c cream *optional*
6 c diced cooked potatos (or enough to fill your pot 3/4 full)

*NOTE* I like my potato soup to have nice chunks of flavorful potatoes and a creamy, rich sauce so I boil the diced potatoes in chicken stock or I salt them and steam them in the microwave if I'm feeling lazy. However, if you like the potatoes to be a little 'mashed' so that you can taste the potato all through the 'soup' part as well, then make the soup as directed, but add the potatoes in at the end raw and let them cook in the soup. Both ways are good, pick your poison.

Additional salt and pepper to taste

Saute the bacon in the butter till it starts to brown. Add the carrots, onions, salt and sugar and cook till the onions are translucent (sometimes I cook them till they're caramelized because I love caramelized onions). Add the flour and stir it around for a minute. Add 2 ish cups of the milk stirring so you don't get lumps. Add another 2ish cups and stir a little more. (Think of it as making a kind of runny gravy.) Mix the cornstarch with the cream (or a 1/2 cup milk)

Cream of Poblano Soup- A little more work than some soups, but delish anyway.
(I’m a wimp when it comes to spicy food, if you’re not you’ll want to up the pepper count)
2 T olive oil
1 poblano pepper
3 c diced chicken
1 c corn
3 T butter
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves
3 T flour
3 ½ c chicken broth
¼ c chopped cilantro
¼ c chopped parsley
2 c whole milk
1 c whipping cream
Salt & pepper to taste
Garnishes: tortilla chips, avocado, Mexican blend cheese, lime wedges, sour cream & extra cilantro
Toss with a little olive oil & grill the pepper(s), corn & chicken till they have a nice brown look. If you don’t have a grill, pop the pepper(s), corn & chicken in the oven & broil. The peppers will be done first, then the corn then-a bit later-the chicken. When the pepper’s done, take it out & put it in a paper bag or wrap it in seran wrap. Set the corn to the side, & dice the chicken. (You could also pick up a rotisserie chicken from the store & just shred it if you want.) While that’s going, in a large pot sauté the butter, onion & garlic till onions are translucent. Add the flour & sauté 1 min. Add the chicken broth. Get your pepper out now & peel it, seed it and chop it up. (USE GLOVES. If you don’t have gloves, wash your hands with vinger, then soap & water & repeat once to get all the capsaicin-pepper oil-off your hands.)Add the cilantro & parsley then puree with an immersion blender. (Or, you could do it in a regular blender in batches). At this point, you can strain it if you want, but I don’t. Add the milk, cream, chicken & corn & simmer 10 min or so. Salt & pepper to taste. When I serve it, I have a bowl of each of the garnishes on the table that people can garnish their own soup with as they choose.

Broccoli Chowder-from Mom Whipple
2 lbs broccoli
25 oz chicken broth
3 c milk
1 c chopped, cooked ham
2 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 c cream
½ lb grated Swiss cheese
¼ c butter
Cook & drain the broccoli. Add everything else in and heat through. Easy Peasy.

Cauliflower Soup-Created in a desperate attempt to use up a whole head of cauliflower one day. I think I remembered the measurements about right, but you know me so taste as you go.
1 head of cauliflower, chopped up
2 potatoes, chopped
4 T butter
½ onion, chopped
3 carrots, peeled & chopped
4 t sugar
4 t salt
2 t pepper
½ lb turkey burger
1-2 c chicken broth
6 c milk
¼ c asiago cheese, grated
Boil the cauliflower & potatoes together in a big pot then, strain & reserve. Rinse out the pot, and add the butter, onion, carrots, sugar, salt, pepper & turkey burger. Blend ½ the cauliflower & potato mixture with the chicken broth in the blender. Just add enough broth to get it going. (This helps thicken the soup, but you can omit this step if you feel like it.) Add the blended veggies, the unblended veggies, the milk & the cheese to the pot & heat through.

No comments:

Post a Comment