Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Apple Harvest Hoedown...

I do some volunteer work with an organization called The Gathering Place. We meet once a month and provide free respite care for those with Alzheimer's, dementia or other conditions needing 24-hour care. Each month we do games, exercises, crafts, music, entertainment, memory exercises and we have a home-cooked meal. I'm supposed to be taking a break from doing things as per my doc. but I convinced my mother-in-law (who I enlisted as a regular volunteer but who turned out to be the BEST resource I have & she now basically does everything=P) that making lunch probably wouldn't kill me so I get to help again this month. (I know you're only taking care of me ma.) I only get to do the main dish, someone else is doing the dessert. However, I really DO love cooking so I played with apples a lot this month. I couldn't find a recipe I liked for a main dish that used apples but would be economical to make. After all, we have to feed 30ish people with a total of $50 for all the food. So I thought a bit and came up with this Chicken, apple & stuffing casserole thing and tested it on my family tonight.(The meeting's on Friday, I'm not cutting it close at all.) It was a hit with them so I'm trying it out on The Gathering Place gang this Friday. It doesn't seem to make a whole lot, but it's really filling. I'm going to serve it with some home-made rolls & I'll give that recipe too. I'm not sure if the casserole recipe is exactly right yet, so if you have any suggestions chime in. I'll also share the recipe for my kids favorite new breakfast concoction; an apple saute that is easy & fantastic on pancakes, waffles, cake, ice cream, whatever. So, here are the recipes....
Chicken Apple & Stuffing Casserole serves 4 (unless they're bottomless like my honey then maybe only 2)

2 T butter
1 T olive oil
1 t sage (Gram said she didn't use nearly this much-she had sage in her stuffing though. Try 1/2 tsp if you like)
a dash of allspice
1 onion, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 chicken breasts, diced
1 apple, peeled, cored & diced (any kind would be fine I think. I used Gala)
2 T flour
1/2 c apple cider/juice
1 c milk
1/4 c cream
1/2 t chicken boullion
Salt & pepper to taste
2 c prepared stuffing (store-bought or home-made are both fine)
Craisens to garnish

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. On med hi saute the butter, olive oil, sage, onion, salt & celery till onions start to brown a little. Add the chicken & cook until it starts to brown a little. Add the apples and cook about 1 min. De-glaze the pan with the apple cider then add the flour & cook 1 min. Add the milk, cream & boullion & cook until it has a gravy-like consistancy (about 1-2 min.) Add just a dash of allspice and salt and pepper to taste. Pour it into a bread pan (no need to grease) & top with the stuffing. Try to make sure the whole top is covered. Bake 10 at 450 degrees then broil on low for 2 min to crisp up the stuffing. Let it cool a minute so it can set up. Garnish with craisens.

I'm going to  serve it with green beans & rolls. (If you've never made fresh green beans just lightly steam them then toss with butter, kosher salt & little garlic powder.YUM.)

Basic Bread/Rolls-from my sister Brandi

*Note*
If you're making whole-wheat bread substitute honey for the sugar-SO much better-& add 1 T of gluten per cup of whole wheat flour (it's in the baking section even at wal-mart if you've never used it). So, if you use 1 c white & 2 c whole wheat you only need 2 T gluten. It can seen a little pricey, but you don't use much at a time. It's what makes the whole wheat bread not so dense and you'll be glad you bought it.

1 c lukewarm water
2 t yeast
3 c flour
3 1/2 T sugar (Let's be honest I'm not measuring 1/2 T so I use either 3T or 4 T depending on the day.)
2 T powdered milk (or 1 T regular milk if you must)
1 t salt
3 T butter (I use shortening when we're really poor. Not quite as good, but it gets the job done.)

Mix the water & yeast in a small bowl & set aside. Mix the dry ingredients together & cut in the butter. Once the yeast is all dissolved (about 5 min) add it in & mix. Turn out onto a floured counter & knead until it's smooth, shiny & elastic (about 10 min or 3 if you have a stand mixer and a dough hook =P). Coat a clean bowl with oil & put dough in & cover with seran wrap or a kitchen towel to rise. It needs to double & that takes from 1 to 1 1/2 hours depending on the temp of where you put it. In an oven that is NOT on but has the light turned on inside is a good place. On a hot day, in the front seat of your car in the driveway is a good place, but really anywhere relatively warm and draft-free works. Once it's doubled punch it down & let it rest 10 min & then shape it however you want: loaf, braid, rolls, etc. Let it double again (this one only takes about 30 minutes because your yeast is already going strong). Preheat your oven (seriously you MUST have it at the right temperature before you put the bread in-trust me) & bake it for 15-20 minutes. For a soft crust, butter the top every 5 min during baking.

Apple Saute
Peel, core & slice up some apples (usually one per person gets it, but if they're hearty eaters do two)
Pick a skillet/pot appropriate to the amount of apples you have &, in it, melt about 1/2 T butter per apple when the apples start to get soft add about1/2 T brown sugar per apple (more or less depending on you), a pinch of salt & whatever spices you want. We've tried several different spices and as many combos. Here are a few ideas that work well to get you started, use them separately or combined in any way: Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves (sparingly), pumpkin pie spice, allspice. Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment