Sunday, February 27, 2011

Student Cakes February 2011 and Baby Shower Cupcakes

Yep, it's been forever since I posted anything. I'll try to do better Gram, what can I say. =P

The cake above is by me. It's a one-person mini cake for Chelsea's birthday. The shoe and flower are made of chocolate. Fun huh? It was about 5 inches tall counting the shoe and 4 inches wide at the base. The flash makes the black look a little funny, but it turned out cute. Especially when you consider it was the second one I made since Ethan ate the first one for breakfast that morning before I woke up. He wasn't alone in his sneaking though. His little protege grabbed a measuring cup of sugar off the counter when I went to answer my phone.

His only response to getting caught was: More? More sugar? He's such a cute little monster.

The rest of the cakes are by my latest group of cake class students. They did such a great job!

At the end is a picture of some cupcakes I made for a baby shower. Click on the "read more" link for instructions on how to assemble them.









 
To make the little diaper cupcakes just cut out a circle and then use the circle cutter to cut a piece out of the top.


 Then use a ridged tool-I used a thingy (technical term) from our pumpkin carving kit-to texture the top edge.
 Then stretch it out...
 and use your fingertips to pinch it back together
 Then add some more 'stitching' under where you pinched. Voila! Diaper
 To make a face, cut out a circle of whatever skin color you want and cover the top of the cupcake
 Place a little ball in the center for a nose
 Use a toothpick to press ovals onto the side for ears. It's okay if you leave marks when pressing because then it just looks more like ears.
 Cut out another circle as shown below to make hats. Each circle makes two hats with a band on the top.
 Diaper logos, mouths and eyes can be drawn on with edible markers (I think a multi-colored pack cost me $5) and you can get little plastic binkies to pop in the mouths or make your own out of fondant. I poked a hole in the mouths with a chopstick before inserting the binkies to be sure they didn't stretch or tear the fondant. I think my favorite one is the mad baby face in the bottom left corner. =) Happy decorating.

No comments:

Post a Comment