Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter Eggs and Hollandaise


Here's a picture of the three hoodlums at Christopher's preschool after the egg hunt. (I was holding Ryan during the egg hunt and didn't get any pictures, sorry.) Sometimes they're just too cute. Still no baby here yet. Maybe he's waiting until we actually come up with a name for him. In which case I'm hosed because we still have nothing. I don't think I was ever this tired during the other three pregnancies. I feel like someone has literally sucked all the life out of me. It's all I can do just to get up and feed the kiddos most days. I sat down to fold laundry a few weeks ago and just woke up 1/2 an hour later. Nothing was on fire and no one was bleeding so that was good but still...

I do think the kid has finally dropped though. With the other three, when they dropped I started having some trouble with my round ligament. Yeah.....lately I'll be walking along and then suddenly it feels like I'm having a charlie horse in my groin area. Not so much fun really but if it means he's finally coming then bring it on.

I'm not posting much today but as I sat here still in my jammies at noon on my couch I was thinking I'd post my hollandaise recipe. I know I just did a breakfast post, but I was much amiss at not including hollandaise because it is liquid deliciousness. It's also great on fish and well loads of stuff. I realize there's this aura surrounding hollandaise sauce because it's supposed to be hard or something. I was in college before I was brave enough to try. Yeah, it's not hard. I've never had one that didn't turn out and I fudge on the 'rules' all the time. I'll leave it over the heat for a few seconds without stirring while I grab something or answer the phone, everything isn't always the right temperature...whatever. I'm not much of a rules person when it comes to food as you know. Anyway, this is super easy. I'm told there are easy versions involving a blender, but I like to have control of the consistency which you can't really if you're blending things so...

Anyway, for more Easter pics and the recipe...


Firstly, for the pictures..
Yes, for all the grandparents out there, Ryan did get to eat his ONE piece of Easter candy. (Oh, poor Ryan. Only one piece he's so abused...blah blah blah. He's fine.)

Hollandaise (this might technically be a Chantilly I think bc of the cream but who cares really?)

4 egg yolks at room temp
2 tsp lemon juice
8 T butter, chilled and cut into TB sized pieces
2-4 tsp heavy cream
salt & cayenne pepper to taste

Bring about 2-3 inches of water to a boil in a small saucepan. In a bowl (NOT aluminum) whisk the yolks and lemon juice and cream together then place it over the heat and start whisking. At this point you're not supposed to ever stop whisking or let the bowl touch the water or any number of like 12 different 'rules' of hollandaise. Whatever. Just whisk the yolk mixture and add the butter a few pieces at a time letting it melt before you add more until it's all gone. The mixture will start to thicken and you're done. It's not going to be like pudding or anything for you first timers. It will be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon; kind of like a thin gravy. At this point, I take it off the heat and add a pinch of kosher salt and a pinch of cayenne then adjust to taste. I usually make a double batch because it keeps well in the fridge (it will thicken up but you can nuke it for 10-15 seconds to rewarm with no trouble) and eggs benedict is Christopher's favorite breakfast so it's easier just to have it already made. There are loads of other things you can add to this basic recipe to compliment a different flavor or meal or theme you're going for so experiment.

Happy eating and Happy Easter to those of you I missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment